Meet the main characters in our industry success stories – our people.
Learn more about our workforce advantages and see a few examples of how the skills and work ethic of our people have helped Monroe County businesses rise to global demands.
Work-ready, custom-trained & motivated
Long-established, respected & impactful
Custom-designed, equipped & ready
- Gate Precast’s work has a critical role in the non-stop flow of aircraft at the world’s busiest passenger airport, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. The airport used Gate’s architectural precast to construct its air traffic control tower.
- Gate’s Monroeville manufacturing facility can produce over one million square feet of architectural precast annually.
- GP Cellulose, a division of Georgia-Pacific, strives for environmental, social, and economic sustainability.
- The Monroe County GP Cellulose manufacturing plant uses only wood and fiber delivered through a rigorous supply chain process that has earned Forest Stewardship Council Chain-of-Custody certification.
- Jobs are sustained along with forests here in Monroe County. Nearly 450 people work at the plant producing fluff pulp used as an absorbent filler for various products.
Billy Barnes Enterprises
- This national trucking and logistics firm commands a fleet of lightweight, powerful trucks to haul various lumber products using state-of-the-art technology.
- The company’s 200-plus drivers are critical to the company’s record of safety and customer satisfaction. Billy Barnes Enterprises has retained all of its original customers since its founding in 1975.
- Many of Barnes’ original employees (some have retired) are also on the job, keeping the industry on the move.
Fruit of the Loom
- In 2008, when long-time Monroeville employer Vanity Fair chose to close its local manufacturing operation, parent company Fruit of the Loom maintained its value for our hard-working labor force and location.
- Fruit of the Loom transitioned a larger share of its distribution operations here and today employs more than 285 people, an increase of more than 100 when the facility focused on manufacturing.